Frequently Asked Questions

We answer your questions and provide you with the necessary, comprehensive information for your hiring journey.

Got Any Further Question?

Let us answer to all your questions here!

We, Helper Express aims to make the process of hiring a maid as simple as possible.

Allow Us To Put Your Worries To Rest!



The standard migrant domestic worker’s (MDW) levy is $300 per month. (Daily: $9.87).

For additional migrant domestic worker(MDW), the levy is $450 per month. (Daily: $14.80)

Domestic employers must pay the levy for migrant domestic workers by the end of each month, and this payment should be made exclusively through GIRO transactions. If employers do not maintain a valid GIRO account, the maid’s work permit will be revoked.

For a first-time maid, the levy begins on the fifth day of arrival (excluding the arrival day). For subsequent arrivals, the levy starts the next day. Employers have until the 17th of the following month before the deduction is made. If the 17th is a non-working day, the deduction will be made on the next working day.

Employers who hire a maid to look after an elderly at least the age of 67, a person with disabilities, or a child under the age of 16, the subsidized levy is $60 per month. (Daily: $1.98)

*Please note levy concessions has a cap of 2 helpers per household.
Each levy for each helper is based on 1 eligible person in the household.

You can also waive your maid’s (FDW)levy if she:

Is on overseas leave for at least 7 consecutive days, capped at 60 calendar days per calendar year.
Is on hospitalisation leave issued by Singapore hospitals, capped at 60 calendar days per calendar year.
Does not return to Singapore after overseas leave.
Is under police custody or is housed at the embassy.
Passed away.


You are eligible if:
you are a married woman and has been elected for separate assessment; or
you are married and your husband is not resident in Singapore; or
you are separated or divorced or widowed and living with your unmarried child for whom you can claim child relief.

The employer holds full responsibility for covering all expenses related to their migrant domestic worker (MDW). This includes medical expenses, such as hospitalization, and employers are prohibited from transferring these costs to their maids.

Given that medical costs can be unpredictable, we strongly recommend that employers purchase comprehensive insurance coverage for their maids to ensure these costs are covered. Always consider upgrading your insurance plan to get a higher medical coverage.


There are different options to help you and your maid send her monthly salary back home. You can choose between banks and remittance service providers, each with their own advantages.

Here’s a breakdown:

Sending Money via Banks:
Bank transfer is a secure and convenient option for transferring funds.
Your maid will need to open a bank account to use this option.

Sending Money through Remittance Companies:
This option may be more cost-effective for smaller amounts.
No need to open an account, but there may be registration fees.
No need to maintain a deposit.
Make sure the company is licensed before using their services.
The speed of transfer may vary depending on the chosen company.

Note: Migrant Domestic Workers (MDWs) are advised not to gather in large groups and to return home immediately after running errands such as remitting money

  • Try to Contact Her
    Before assuming your maid has run away, you should first try to locate her by searching the surrounding area to see if she has left the house without informing anyone.


  • Check for Belongings
    Take a look to see if your maid has taken her personal belongings, particularly her passport. If these items are missing, it is likely that she has left.


  • Inform Your Maid Agency
    Contact your Singapore Maid Agency so that they can keep a lookout in case your maid returns to the agency. They can also reach out to her training center or family members to see if she has left any messages regarding her whereabouts


  • File A Police Report
    After making reasonable efforts to locate your maid, it is important to file a police report. The authorities can conduct an investigation, determine if she has left the country, or assist in finding her by contacting relevant entities.


  • Terminate Her Work Permit
    If you are unable to find your domestic helper after a few days, it may be necessary to cancel her work permit. This will result in the cessation of your levy payment, and your maid will become an overstayer, which may result in fines, imprisonment, or both, before she is repatriated.










According to MOM regulations, it is not permitted for maids to become pregnant or give birth in Singapore, unless they are married to a Singapore citizen or permanent resident with the government’s approval. If you discover that your maid is pregnant, you should notify MOM and terminate the helper’s contract. You will be required to provide the following information to MOM’s Work Pass Division:

  • Maid’s name
  • Work Permit Number
  • Doctor’s letter
  • confirming the pregnancy
  • Spouse’s citizenship (if applicable)


Subsequently, you will need to cancel the work permit and arrange for the maid to return to her home country by purchasing a plane ticket. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the forfeiture of the $5,000 security deposit.


If you’re having a long-lasting problem with your helper that you can’t resolve, contact Helper Express for help. We provide mediation and counseling services for both employers and helpers.

Regulations and Procedures

Helper Express is a trustworthy maid agency in Singapore that offers a comprehensive service to simplify and minimize the stress of hiring a maid. Our services cover training and support throughout the entire process, starting from the initial interview and selection to work permit application, security bond, insurance, travel arrangements, medical screening, and more. This

ensures that all procedures are in accordance with Singapore law and facilitates a smooth transition.

We recognize the importance of finding the perfect match, and our team works diligently to match you with the most suitable maid for your household needs. We are available 7 days a week and committed to delivering exceptional service.

The $5,000 security bond is a mandatory requirement for employers hiring migrant domestic workers (MDWs). It ensures that employers are responsible for their well-being, timely salary payments, and repatriation.

If employers violate the conditions of the work permit, they may lose the security bond. However, if the maid breaches the conditions due to her own actions, the employer will not be held accountable. For instance, if the maid becomes pregnant, the security deposit will not be forfeited. In cases where the maid absconds and the employer makes reasonable efforts to locate her but is unsuccessful, only half of the security bond will be forfeited. This amount will be used to cover the costs of repatriating the maid.

Certainly, there is an alternative available in the form of a maid insurance policy, which tends to be more affordable.

Various insurance policies are offered, each providing coverage for different aspects of concern, such as a runaway bond.

However, it’s important to note that even with an insurance policy in place, you may still be held liable for the forfeiture of the $5,000 deposit if you fail to repatriate the maid for any reason. This requirement is mandated by Singaporean law.

1.  Do I need to purchase medical insurance for my helper?
Yes, it is a legal requirement in Singapore to buy both medical and personal accident insurance for your helper. The insurance must be active before your helper arrives and starts working for you. Please note that you, as the employer, cannot pass the insurance cost to your helper.


2. What are the requirements for medical insurance?
According to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore, employers must purchase a minimum of $15,000 per year for inpatient care and day surgery for their helper.


3. What are the requirements for personal accident insurance?
The personal accident insurance (PAI) policy must provide a minimum coverage of $60,000 per year. It should cover permanent disability or death resulting from unforeseen incidents, without any exclusion clauses against the Status of Foreign Manpower Regulations.


4. Should I consider a higher insurance plan for my helper?
Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, MOM strongly recommends that employers opt for higher insurance coverage for their helpers. Higher coverage can provide added financial protection, especially considering rising hospitalization costs. However, the choice of insurance plan ultimately depends on your budget and risk tolerance as an employer.


5. What should I consider before purchasing medical insurance due to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Before purchasing medical insurance, it is important to ensure that the plan covers treatment and hospitalization costs related to COVID-19. Carefully review the plan’s features and any exclusion clauses.


6. Am I fully responsible for my helper’s medical costs?
Yes, as an employer, you are fully responsible for both inpatient and outpatient costs incurred by your helper under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.


Upon your maid’s arrival in Singapore, she is given a 14-day window to complete the required medical examinations and obtain certification of fitness to work according to the standards set by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

These medical checks are conducted to ensure that your maid is in good health, not pregnant, has a satisfactory blood pressure reading, and is free from viral diseases.

Furthermore, it is mandatory for your maid to undergo medical screenings every six months to ensure that her health continues to meet the standards set by MOM.

The medical checks that are included in the six-month screening for your migrant domestic worker (MDW) are as follows:

Pregnancy and VDRL (Venereal Disease Research Laboratory) tests every six months.

HIV test every two years.

Tuberculosis (TB) test once, after two years of staying in Singapore.

New requirements include checks on Body Mass Index (BMI) and visible signs of abuse.

All medical examinations must be conducted at approved clinics, and the results should be submitted to MOM as per the regulations.

As per the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) regulations, it is mandatory for employers to ensure that they pay their maid’s salary promptly, cover all of her living expenses, and take responsibility for her well-being during her stay in Singapore.

Migrant domestic workers (MDWs) who obtain work permits issued after January 1st, 2013 are eligible for a weekly rest day. Nevertheless, it is possible for your maid to work on her scheduled rest day if both parties come to a mutual written agreement, in which case the employer must compensate the maid with either an additional pay or a replacement rest day within the same calendar month. To calculate the compensation amount, the maid’s basic salary is divided by 26.

The Settling-in Programme (SIP) is a one-day orientation program designed for first-time MDWs (Migrant Domestic Workers) to provide them with essential information about safety measures and adapting to life in Singapore.

During the SIP, the following topics are covered:

  • Adjusting to work and life in Singapore
  • Understanding the terms and conditions of employment
  • Promoting a safe working environment
  • Managing relationships and handling stress

To initiate the transfer of your helper, you need to provide written consent to the agency, granting them permission to assist you with the transfer process.

During the transfer period, you are responsible for paying the levy up until the day before the new Work Permit is issued. If the FDW’s medical examination was conducted five months ago, you still need to ensure that she undergoes the required 6-Monthly Medical Examination, as the current employer.

In the event that the transfer is unsuccessful and the Work Permit is cancelled or expires, it becomes the responsibility of the current employer to repatriate the worker within 14 days from the date of Work Permit cancellation/expiry.

The worker can only commence work with the new employer once the Work Permit has been issued under the new employer’s name. Any outstanding salary should be settled on the day of the worker’s release.

Regarding the transfer process, you will not be required to pay any fees to the maid agency, unless you request their assistance in providing food and accommodation during the interim period. However, it is important to note that the worker’s salary must still be paid, even if she is not performing any work while staying with the agency.

A transfer maid refers to a migrant domestic worker (MDW) who is currently employed by another employer in Singapore and is seeking a new employer. This situation typically arises when the maid’s two-year contract is nearing its end or when either the employer or the maid decides to terminate or discontinue the employment for various reasons.


Helper Express hires maids from Myanmar, Indonesia and Philippines.

Singapore citizens, permanent residents, and expatriates with valid work passes can hire a maid, but they need approval from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

Expatriate employers must also show proof of having family members living with them.

To hire a maid, you must be 21 years or older, not an undischarged bankrupt, and have the mental capacity to understand and fulfill your responsibilities as an employer. MOM will also assess your financial ability to hire, accommodate, and support the maid.

To make this possible, you must officially inform the Ministry of Manpower that your helper will take care of your children at your in-laws’ or mother’s house. She should not do any household chores or cooking there unless it is for your kids. It’s important to avoid situations where your helper does unrelated tasks at another house without your children present. The Ministry of Manpower considers this matter seriously, so it’s best to follow these rules and not break them.